Ledger: Using your Device with Statemint Print
Modified on: Wed, 8 Mar, 2023 at 7:15 PM
In this article you will learn how to use your Ledger device with Statemint, Polkadot's system parachain that natively supports custom assets and NFTs.
But first, let's address a few things that you need to pay attention to:
1. All your Polkadot accounts in Polkadot-JS UI, regardless of type, are also available on Statemint, even if they're not set to be available on all chains. Statemint uses DOT as its native token, hence, accounts on Polkadot makes sense to also be available on Statemint.
2. The opposite in not true: accounts created on Statemint are not available on Polkadot.
3. The Polkadot extension does not support the Ledger Statemint app at this point. However, a Polkadot Ledger account in the extension will also be available on Statemint, as mentioned above. But if you send assets or NFTs to that account you won't be able to access them!
4. This means that all Ledger accounts on Statemint need to be added on Polkadot-JS UI directly. Read on to learn more.
All the information in this article also applies to Kusama and Statemine, Statemint's cousin on Kusama.
How to create a Statemint account with Ledger
If you want to create a Ledger account that's only available on Statemint but not on Polkadot, you can add it directly on Polkadot-JS UI on Statemint:
1. Switch to Statemint following the instructions here.
2. Install the Statemint app on your Ledger, if you haven't already, using Manager in Ledger Live.
3. Open the Statemint app on your Ledger device.
4. Then add the Ledger account normally, following the instructions here.
If you already have a Polkadot Ledger account, that one will also be available on Statemint, as mentioned above. If you want to add a different account that's only available on Statemint you'll need to select a different Account Type and Index than your Polkadot account when you follow the guide in Step 4 above. Make sure to note the combination you selected since you will need it if you ever have to re-add your account.
How to use a Ledger account on both Polkadot and Statemint
In most cases you'll want to use the same Ledger account on both Polkadot and Statemint. In that case, if your Polkadot Ledger account was added directly on Polkadot-JS UI (it will show up under the "hardware" type), then there's nothing more you need to do! You can already use the account on both chains.
However, if your account is in the Polkadot extension (it shows up under the "injected" type), you'll need to remove it from the extension and re-add it directly on Polkadot-JS UI on the Polkadot chain. Follow these steps to do so:
1. Open the extension
2. Click on the three dots next to your account
3. Select "Forget account" and confirm your choice
4. Then on Polkadot-JS UI, switch to Polkadot
5. Install the Statemint app on your Ledger, if you haven't already, using Manager in Ledger Live.
6. Open the Polkadot app on your Ledger device
7. Follow the instructions here to re-add your Polkadot Ledger account. Make sure to select the same Account type and Index that you selected when you first created your account.
That's it! In order to use the account on either chain, simply switch to it on Polkadot-JS UI, open the respective app on your Ledger and issue the extrinsic you want.
Did you find it helpful? Yes NoSend feedback
Disclaimer: We always strive to provide you with the best support we can and we take all care to ensure that our instructions are accurate and concise. However, following these instructions properly, as well as the general management of your accounts and funds, is ultimately your responsibility. Web3 Foundation cannot be held liable for any accidental loss of funds or any other damage you might incur.