Polkadot Extension: How to Restore your Account Print
Modified on: Wed, 8 Mar, 2023 at 6:40 PM
In this article you will learn how to restore your Polkadot account in the Polkadot extension either with your account's 12-word mnemonic phrase or its JSON file and password.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
We highly recommend that you add your accounts in the browser extension, as it has many advantages:
1. It provides better security than using the Web UI directly
2. Your browser won't "forget" your accounts if its cookies are cleared
3. It allows you to interact with any Web 3.0 compatible site in the Polkadot ecosystem
4. The extension recognizes all known Polkadot scams and alerts you when you try to visit a known scam site. This will help you protect yourself and your funds.
If you haven't installed the Polkadot extension yet, you can find download instructions here.
ℹ️ GOOD TO KNOW The Polkadot extension is an account manager, not a wallet. You will still need to use Polkadot-JS UI to interact with your accounts and see your balance.
Restore from your 12-word mnemonic phrase
1. Open the Polkadot extension and click on the "plus (+)" sign on the top right. Then select "Import account from pre-existing seed".
2. On the next screen, enter your mnemonic seed words.
‼️ IMPORTANT If you're getting an error and your mnemonic phrase isn't accepted, please check this article.
3. Once entered, more fields will appear. Enter a name for your account and set a password, then click on the orange button at the bottom.
Your account has now successfully been restored and will appear in the list of accounts in the Polkadot extension.
It will also appear in the list of accounts on Polkadot-JS UI under the "extension" category (you may have to refresh the page first before you can see it).
Restore from your JSON file
1. Open the Polkadot extension and click on the "plus (+)" button. Then select "Restore account from backup JSON file".
2. On the next screen, select your JSON file from your computer or drag and drop it in the "Backup file" field.
3. Now enter the password you set for your account when you created it and click "Restore".
‼️ IMPORTANT If you are restoring a "batch" JSON file, which contains all the accounts in the extension, that you had previously exported from the extension, the file will have its own password, the one you set when you exported it. This password may or may not be the same as any individual password for the accounts it contains.
Your account has now been successfully restored and you will see it in the list of accounts in the Polkdot extension:
You will also see it in the list of accounts on Polkadot-JS UI under the "extension" category (you may have to refresh the page first before you can see it).
If you are a visual learner, you can find the same instructions in the video below.
Did you find it helpful? Yes NoSend feedback
Disclaimer: We always strive to provide you with the best support we can and we take all care to ensure that our instructions are accurate and concise. However, following these instructions properly, as well as the general management of your accounts and funds, is ultimately your responsibility. Web3 Foundation cannot be held liable for any accidental loss of funds or any other damage you might incur.