Why can't I transfer tokens? Print
Modified on: Thu, 5 May, 2022 at 7:50 PM
The number #1 reason why users contact us for help with transferring their funds is because they are not aware of the existential deposit of 1 DOT on the Polkadot network (0.0000333333 KSM on Kusama).
Another reason your transfers are failing and you are unable to send funds out, is that your tokens are locked.
There are a variety of ways that a portion of the DOT in your account can be locked (unable to be transferred).
To check whether some of your tokens might be locked:
- Go to https://polkadot.js.org/apps/#/accounts
- Look for your account
- Click on the dropdown arrow to display details of your account, including locks:
You may see locks for the following reasons:
- Vesting - You must wait a certain number of blocks before transferring. Click on the i icon next to "vested" to see at which block the vesting period will be over and how much time it will still take.
Once the vesting period is over, click on the three dots next to your account and select "Unlock vested amount" in order to unlock them and be able to transfer them.
- Staking - You have some tokens bonded for staking. You can verify this by clicking on the i icon next to "locked". Before you can transfer those tokens, you need to unbond them. This will take ~ 28 days on Polkadot and ~ 7 days on Kusama.
Once the unbonding period is over, click on the three dots next to your account on the Account Actions page and select "Withdraw unbonded"
- Democracy - You have voted for a referendum (which can include a time lock, especially if you use a time-lock multiplier). Click on the clock icon to see when your lock expires, or if it already has.
When your lock has expired, you can unlock your tokens by clicking on the three vertical dots next to your account and then selecting "Clear expired democracy locks" from the menu. For more details, please watch the video on the bottom of this article.
- Council vote - You have locked some of your tokens when voting for Polkadot or Kusama Council members. To unlock them, go to https://polkadot.js.org/apps/#/council, click on VOTE and on the next screen on "Unvote all".
For more details on all of the above, please watch this video tutorial by our Tech Education team:
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback
Disclaimer: We always strive to provide you with the best support we can and we take all care to ensure that our instructions are accurate and concise. However, following these instructions properly, as well as the general management of your accounts and funds, is ultimately your responsibility. Web3 Foundation cannot be held liable for any accidental loss of funds or any other damage you might incur.