Polkadot-JS UI: How to Send / Transfer Funds Out of Your Account Print
Modified on: Mon, 30 Oct, 2023 at 4:53 PM
Polkadot-JS UI is a web wallet meant for power users and developers. For everyday use, there are several user-friendly wallets funded by the Polkadot Treasury that support a plethora of features and platforms. Discover them on Polkadot's homepage.
Whether your account is in the Polkadot extension or created/added directly on the Polkadot-JS UI, you'll need to use the Polkadot-JS UI interface to send funds or issue any extrinsic. The Polkadot extension is an account manager, not a wallet, so it requires a UI to interact with.
1. To withdraw DOT from your account and send funds out, click on "Transfer" in the Accounts menu or click the "Send" button on the Accounts page next to the account you want to send from.
2. Both options will take you to the following pop-up window, where you can enter the destination account and the amount you want to send. If you clicked the "Send" button to get here, the "Send from" account will already be set.
For the receiving account, you can either select an account from the drop-down menu, which lists all your accounts and all the accounts in your Address Book, or simply paste an address. The receiving account doesn't have to be in your Address Book.
3. Once you have entered all the details, click on the "Make Transfer" button. It will take you to the pop-up window shown below, which will display your expected transaction fees in milli DOT.
‼️ IMPORTANT The transaction fees will be deducted from the leftover funds in your account. If you don't leave enough funds in your account for the fees, your transaction will fail due to "insufficient balance." If you want to send ALL of your funds out, learn how to do that here.
‼️ IMPORTANT You need to leave more than the existential deposit of 1 DOT in your account if you want to keep it active. If you encounter the error 'balances.transferKeepAlive' click here to learn what this means and how to troubleshoot this.
4. Once you're ready to make your transaction, enter your password and click the "Sign and Submit" button.
5. Signing a transaction is slightly different depending on how you created your account. Here are the guides for all wallets and account managers you can use on Polkadot-JS UI:
6. Congratulations, you have signed a transaction! It will be included in the blockchain within a few seconds. You can now open any of the block explorers to view your transaction:
If you are more of a visual learner, check the video below at mark 02:38:
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback
Disclaimer: We always strive to provide you with the best support we can and we take all care to ensure that our instructions are accurate and concise. However, following these instructions properly, as well as the general management of your accounts and funds, is ultimately your responsibility. Web3 Foundation cannot be held liable for any accidental loss of funds or any other damage you might incur.