Ledger: Using your device with Statemine Print
Modified on: Mon, 14 Nov, 2022 at 6:16 PM
In this article you will learn how to use your Ledger device with Statemine, Kusama's first common good parachain that natively supports custom assets and NFTs.
But first, let's address a few things that you need to pay attention to:
1. All your Kusama accounts in Polkadot-JS UI, regardless of type, are also available on Statemine, even if they're not set to be available on all chains. Statemine uses KSM as its native token, hence, accounts on Kusama makes sense to also be available on Statemine.
NOTE: This is also true for Polkadot accounts and Statemint, Statemine's cousin on Polkadot. All Polkadot accounts are also available on Statemint.
2. The opposite in not true: accounts created on Statemine are not available on Kusama.
3. The Polkadot extension does not support the Ledger Statemine app at this point. However, a Kusama Ledger account in the extension will also be available on Statemine, as mentioned above. But if you send assets or NFTs to that account you won't be able to access them!
4. This means that all Ledger accounts on Statemine need to be added on Polkadot-JS UI directly. Read on to learn more.
IMPORTANT: Currently there is no Ledger app for Statemint (Polkadot's common good chain). However, a Polkadot Ledger account will also be available on Statemint. If you accidentally send funds to the Statemint account, they will be inaccessible until a Statemint app is developed for Ledger!
How to create a Statemine account with Ledger
If you want to create a Ledger account that's only available on Statemine but not on Kusama, you can add it directly on Polkadot-JS UI on Statemine:
1. Switch to Statemine following the instructions here.
2. Install the Statemine app on your Ledger, if you haven't already, using Manager in Ledger Live.
3. Open the Statemine app on your Ledger device.
4. Then add the Ledger account normally, following the instructions here.
If you already have a Kusama Ledger account, that one will also be available on Statemine, as mentioned above. If you want to add a different account that's only available on Statemine you'll need to select a different Account Type and Index than your Kusama account in Step 3 above. Make sure to note the combination you selected since you will need it if you ever have to re-add your account.
How to use a Ledger account on both Kusama and Statemine
In most cases you'll want to use the same Ledger account on both Kusama and Statemine. In that case, if your Kusama Ledger account was added directly on Polkadot-JS UI (it has a type of "ledger"), then there's nothing more you need to do! You can already use the account on both chains.
However, if your account is in the Polkadot extension (it has a type of "injected"), you'll need to remove it from the extension and re-add it directly on Polkadot-JS UI on the Kusama chain. Follow these steps to do so:
1. Open the extension
2. Click on the three dots next to your account
3. Select "Forget account" and confirm your choice
4. Then on Polkadot-JS UI, switch to Kusama
5. Install the Statemine app on your Ledger, if you haven't already, using Manager in Ledger Live.
6. Open the Kusama app on your Ledger device
7. Follow the instructions here to re-add your Kusama Ledger account. Make sure to select the same Account type and Index that you selected when you first created your account.
That's it! In order to use the account on either chain, simply switch to it on Polkadot-JS UI, open the respective app on your Ledger and issue the extrinsic you want.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback
Disclaimer: We always strive to provide you with the best support we can and we take all care to ensure that our instructions are accurate and concise. However, following these instructions properly, as well as the general management of your accounts and funds, is ultimately your responsibility. Web3 Foundation cannot be held liable for any accidental loss of funds or any other damage you might incur.