Polkadot-JS UI: How to Teleport DOT or KSM between Statemint or Statemine Print
Modified on: Mon, 20 Mar, 2023 at 11:49 AM
‼️ IMPORTANT Teleporting is temporarily disabled on Polkadot-JS UI due to a technical issue. If you want to teleport assets to Statemint or Statemine we suggest using a third-party wallet or app.
There are a few reasons why you might want to teleport your DOT to Statemint and your KSM to Statemine. For example:
- To utilize Statemint's and Statemine's lower transfer fees and lower existential deposits.
- To meet the existential deposit for other (non-sufficient) assets.
For additional information regarding teleportation, refer to the wiki here. If you are attempting to create or transfer assets instead of teleport them, see this wiki article.
There are two types of fees that are imposed when teleporting your DOT or KSM, and they are deducted differently.
1. Transaction fees on the source chain
Like with regular transfers, these fees are deducted from your transferrable balance.
Teleports don't have the "keep alive" safeguard like normal transfers. This means that you need to make sure that your balance after the application of fees is above the existential deposit, otherwise your account will be reaped (deactivated) and any remaining balance will be lost!
If you want to teleport your entire balance, and reap your account, make sure to account for the source chain fees, when choosing the amount to teleport.
2. Transaction fees on the destination chain
Teleports come with an additional fee on the destination chain. This fee is deducted from the teleported amount of DOT or KSM. The remainder needs to be greater than the existential deposit of the destination chain. Otherwise, the entire balance your teleported will be lost!
ℹ️ GOOD TO KNOW
These are the existential deposits on the four chains:
Polkadot: 1 DOT
Statemint: 0.1 DOT (10 times smaller)
Kusama: 0.000333333333 KSM
Statemine: 0.000003333333 KSM (100 times smaller)
How to teleport your assets between chains
⛔ READ THIS FIRST!
Do not attempt to teleport funds directly to exchange deposit addresses, or send funds to a Polkadot or Kusama deposit address from a Statemint or Statemine account. Although the address format is the same, exchanges are not be able to detect teleports or deposits on the wrong chains. Such deposits will be irretrievable!
1. Make sure to switch to the source chain.
2. On top of the page, navigate to Accounts > Teleport:
3. This opens the "Teleport assets" interface:
Here, you can choose:
- Send from account: choose your account with the source token.
- Destination chain: choose the parachain to send the assets to.
- Send to address: choose or paste the account receiving the funds on the destination chain.
- Amount: enter the amount you wish to teleport. This amount doesn't include the transfer fee on the source chain, but the fee on the destination chain will be deducted from it.
4. After reviewing transaction information and fees, click the "Teleport" button, then sign and submit your transaction.
If you are more of a visual type, we have this video tutorial that guides you through the teleport process:
Did you find it helpful? Yes NoSend feedback
Disclaimer: We always strive to provide you with the best support we can and we take all care to ensure that our instructions are accurate and concise. However, following these instructions properly, as well as the general management of your accounts and funds, is ultimately your responsibility. Web3 Foundation cannot be held liable for any accidental loss of funds or any other damage you might incur.