How to Create a Polkadot Account Print
Modified on: Tue, 6 Feb, 2024 at 4:20 PM
If you're looking to store your DOT safely, there are several recommended wallets available. These range from more advanced options to user-friendly products made by the community for the community.
This article will guide you through creating a Polkadot account using the battle-tested Polkadot extension. However, for newcomers, we strongly advise opting for any of the user-friendly wallets. These wallets offer the same functionalities and security standards but present them in a more approachable interface.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- User-friendly wallets
- Hardware wallets
- Wallet for advanced users
ℹ️ GOOD TO KNOW The wallets mentioned in this section are highly recommended most users, specially for newcomers. They provide identical functionalities and security standards, but the interface and user experience are tailored for everyday use.
The wallets listed below do not yet have an article in Support, but they will be published soon. In the meantime, please refer to each wallet's documentation for instructions on how to create an account using them:
By creating your Polkadot account using a hardware wallet, you would take advantage of the highest security standards in the industry to store your assets while you can still access and use your Polkadot account whenever you wish.
Here are two articles on how to create your account in Polkadot Vault (rebranding from Parity Signer) and Ledger:
Wallet for advanced users
- Polkadot browser extension - This is the wallet we cover in this article
- Polkadot-JS UI
How to create an account with the Polkadot extension
The Polkadot extension is an account manager meant for power users and developers. There are several user-friendly browser extensions funded by the Polkadot Treasury that support a lot of features right from the extension. Discover them on Polkadot's homepage and check how to create a Polkadot account with them in the section above.
No matter the type of your account, we recommend that you add your accounts through a browser extension, as it has many advantages:
- It provides better security than using the Web UI directly.
- Your browser won't "forget" your accounts if its cookies are cleared.
- The extension recognizes all known Polkadot scams and alerts you when you access a phishing site. This will help you protect yourself and your funds.
ℹ️ GOOD TO KNOW
You will still need to use Polkadot-JS UI to use your accounts and issue transactions. The Polkadot extension is an account manager, not a wallet, and it needs a UI to interact with.
2. After installing the extension, you should see the orange and white Polkadot extension logo in your browser's menu bar. If you don't, click on the little puzzle icon to pin it. Then click it to open the extension:
3. Click the big plus button, or select "Create new account" from the small plus icon in the top right.
4. A new mnemonic phrase of twelve words will be generated for you. Make sure to save the mnemonic phrase safely now, as there is no way to view it after the account is created.
⛔️ READ THIS FIRST!
Keep your mnemonic phrase secret and safe! Anyone who knows it can have full access to your account!
5. Once you have saved your mnemonic phrase, mark that you have saved it safely and proceed to the next step.
6. Give your account a descriptive name. It's for your use only and will not be visible to other users.
ℹ️ GOOD TO KNOW
At this point you can choose to use the account on any chain or allow it for a specific chain only, from the drop-down menu. Read this article for more details.
7. Set a password for your account. You will need to enter this password when signing any transaction with your account, like sending funds out. We recommend using only Latin letters, numbers, and symbols. It's important you remember your password. There is no way to recover it later.
⛔️ READ THIS FIRST!
The password isn't stored anywhere and we can't recover it for you. It's only used to encrypt your account locally on your computer. It does not protect your mnemonic phrase!
8. Confirm your password and add the account.
You are all set! Refresh the Accounts page on Polkadot-JS UI, and you should see your account.
To see the whole process of creating an account using the Polkadot extension, please watch this video tutorial.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback
Disclaimer: We always strive to provide you with the best support we can and we take all care to ensure that our instructions are accurate and concise. However, following these instructions properly, as well as the general management of your accounts and funds, is ultimately your responsibility. Web3 Foundation cannot be held liable for any accidental loss of funds or any other damage you might incur.