Polkadot-JS UI: How to Create an Account Print
Modified on: Thu, 9 Mar, 2023 at 5:32 PM
In this article, you will learn how to create a new account in the Polkadot-JS user interface (UI). For most users, we strongly recommend using the Polkadot browser extension instead:
The Polkadot extension has many advantages:
- It provides better security;
- Your browser won't "forget" your accounts if its cookies are cleared;
- It allows you to interact with any Web 3.0-compatible site in the Polkadot ecosystem;
- The extension recognizes all known Polkadot (and not only) scams and alerts you when you access a phishing site. This will help you protect yourself and your funds.
How to Create an Account on Polkadot-JS UI
1. On Polkadot-JS UI, navigate to the Settings tab. In the account options, allow local in-browser account storage and click Save:
2. Navigate to the Accounts page and click on the "+ Account" button:
3. You'll see a 12-word mnemonic phrase. Save it safely and check the box saying you have done so.
Make sure to save your mnemonic phrase now, as there is no way to view it after the account is created.
4. Click Next. Give your account a descriptive name and a good password.
⚠️ ATTENTION Your password does not protect your mnemonic phrase! It is only used to encrypt your account locally on your device. The mnemonic phrase alone can give full access to your account, which is why you can use your mnemonic phrase to restore the account if you forget your password. As a result, an attacker doesn’t need to know your password to compromise your account, just your mnemonic phrase
5. Click Next, review the details, and click Save. This will also download the JSON backup file for the account on your computer.
6. Your JSON backup file will have the name of your account and will go to your default download folder. Unless you rename it, it will be named like this:
Your account has been successfully created, and you will see it listed on your Accounts page.
If you are more of a visual type, check this video guide:
Did you find it helpful? Yes NoSend feedback
Disclaimer: We always strive to provide you with the best support we can and we take all care to ensure that our instructions are accurate and concise. However, following these instructions properly, as well as the general management of your accounts and funds, is ultimately your responsibility. Web3 Foundation cannot be held liable for any accidental loss of funds or any other damage you might incur.