Staking Dashboard: How to Unbond Your Tokens Print
Modified on: Thu, 14 Sep, 2023 at 4:55 PM
Start your staking journey or explore more information about staking on Polkadot's Home Page. Discover this new Staking Dashboard that makes staking much easier and check our extensive article list in the Overview article to help you get started.
In this article, we explain how to unbond staked tokens using the Staking Dashboard. You can decide to stop being a nominator at any time by unbonding. You may need to connect your extension account first.
ℹ️ GOOD TO KNOW
Please note that there is an unbonding period, currently 28 days on Polkadot and 7 days on Kusama.
In this example, we're using the Westend testnet, but the process is the same for Polkadot and Kusama.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
How to stop nominating and unbond all your funds
1. Navigate to your nominations on the "Nominate" tab, and click the "Unstake" button.
ℹ️ GOOD TO KNOW
If you're only unbonding some of your staked tokens and intend to keep staking, there is no need to stop nominating. In this case, skip to the next section.
2. Click "Submit" and sign the batch call from your extension or wallet.
If you change your mind once the unbonding period has be initiated, you can rebond your funds following this guide: "Staking Dashboard: How to Rebond Your Tokens"
3. After the unbonding period has concluded (28 days in Polkadot or 7 days in Kusama), click any of the unlocked padlocks icons to fully withdraw the unbonded tokens.
4. Click "Withdraw Unlocked", submit, and sign the transaction to complete the process.
Congratulations, The tokens should then show up again in your transferable balance!
How to unbond part of your funds
The previous section described how to stop nominating and unbond all your funds. However, you always have the option to unbond only some of them and keep nominating with the rest. Keep reading to learn how.
Always ensure that your bonded funds remain over the minimum bond required for nomination (250 DOT on Polkadot, 0.1 KSM on Kusama) to avoid encountering the message "A minimum bond of 250 DOT is required when actively nominating."
1. Go to the "Nominate" tab and click on the minus ("-") icon below "Bonded Funds".
2. Enter the amount of funds you'd like to unbond (keep in mind that the remaining balance needs to be over the minimum required to nominate for nomination) and click "Submit." Sign the transaction, and that's it, you unbonded only parts of your staking balance!
If you are more of a visual learner, check the guide below. It covers all things you can do after you start staking. You can skip to 1:54 to learn about unbonding:
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback
Disclaimer: We always strive to provide you with the best support we can and we take all care to ensure that our instructions are accurate and concise. However, following these instructions properly, as well as the general management of your accounts and funds, is ultimately your responsibility. Web3 Foundation cannot be held liable for any accidental loss of funds or any other damage you might incur.