Why am I not getting staking rewards? Print
Modified on: Thu, 5 May, 2022 at 6:14 PM
Staking on Polkadot is not a passive activity as you may be used to from other networks. There are several reasons why you may stop receiving rewards, which is why it's worth double-checking and making some optimisations every now and then in order to ensure ongoing rewards.
Before you follow the steps below, check your DOT address on a block explorer such as Subscan or Polkascan to verify whether you are receiving rewards or not.
Still not receiving rewards?
If you are definitely not receiving rewards, determine:
- Have you bonded your DOT / KSM? You can double-check this in your account balance on the Accounts page:
If you have no bonded tokens, please follow the instructions to stake here.
- Have you nominated at least one validator? If not, follow the instructions to nominate.
- If you were chilled because you nominated with less than the minimum bond (check note above) but then you bonded more funds, you'll need to nominate your validators again in order to start receiving rewards. When your account is chilled it stops nominating.
- Are you nominating too few validators? You can nominate up to 16 validators. The more you nominate, the higher your chances for receiving regular rewards. Not every validator makes it into the active set every day, so if you nominate too few validators you may not be receiving rewards every day. Still, make sure you only nominate validators that you trust. Check this article on how to choose validators.
- Has it been at least 48 hours since you started nominating? Staking rewards will only begin coming in after enough time for new validator set selection has passed.
- Do you have at least one active validator? Note that in the vast majority of cases, only a single active validator will be selected for a nominator per era. This is expected behavior.
Having multiple inactive or waiting validators is not a problem, unless none of them show as active. In that case, you can nominate more validators up to the maximum of 16 or change your selected validators.
- Is your active validator oversubscribed? If you are not among the top 256 nominators (in terms of stake) for your active validator, you will not receive rewards. To fix this, make a new selection and choose validators that are not oversubscribed yet.
- Are you sending rewards to the correct address? Generally rewards are sent to either the stash or controller, but you can also choose to direct them elsewhere.
- Have you checked to see if there is a pending payout? You can see this in the Payouts tab as per the image below.
Payouts are usually done after each era ends by the validators. If your validator hasn't initiated the payout yet and you cannot wait, you can initiate the payout by clicking on the Payout button on the top right or the one next to your pending payment. Note that will cost you transaction costs, though. If you're not in a rush, simply wait for the validator (or someone else) to initiate the payout.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback