Why am I not getting staking rewards? Print
Modified on: Wed, 7 Oct, 2020 at 1:56 PM
Staking on Polkadot is not a passive activity as you may be used to from other networks. There are several reasons why you may stop receiving rewards, which is why it's worth double-checking and making some optimisations every now and then in order to ensure ongoing rewards.
Please note: As a result of a recent runtime upgrade, nominators with a stake of less than approximately 200 DOT are currently not receiving any rewards. Our developers are working on a solution for this, which the community will then have to vote for. An alternative would be to stake with custodial services like e.g. Kraken, which provide off-chain staking solutions.
Before you follow the steps below, check your DOT address on a block explorer such as Subscan or Polkascan to verify whether you are receiving rewards or not.
If you are definitely not receiving rewards, determine:
- Have you bonded your DOT / KSM? You can double-check this in your account balance on the Accounts page:
If you have no bonded tokens, please follow the instructions to nominate here.
- Have you nominated at least one validator? If not, follow the instructions to nominate.
- Has it been at least 48 hours since you started nominating? Staking rewards will only begin coming in after enough time for new validator set selection has passed.
- Do you have at least one active validator? Note that in the vast majority of cases, only a single active validator will be selected for a nominator per era. This is expected behavior.
Having multiple inactive or waiting validators is not a problem, unless none of them show as active. In that case, you can nominate more validators up to the maximum of 16.
- Are any of your validators oversubscribed? If you are not among the top 256 nominators (in terms of stake) for a given validator, you will not receive rewards. To fix this, make a new selection and choose validators that are not oversubscribed yet.
- Are you sending rewards to the correct address? Generally rewards are sent to either the stash or controller, but you can also choose to direct them elsewhere.
- Have you checked to see if there is a pending payout? You can see this in the Payouts tab as per the image below.
Payouts are done approximately every 24 hours. If you cannot wait, you can initiate the payout by clicking on the Payout button on the top right or the one next to your pending payment. Note that will cost you transaction costs, though. If you're not in a rush, simply wait for the next payout to arrive in your account.
Please let us know below if you found this article helpful or email us at Support if we can be of further assistance.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback