How to Add Your Ledger Through the Polkadot Extension Print
Modified on: Thu, 21 Oct, 2021 at 2:01 PM
Connecting your Ledger through the Polkadot extension has some benefits:
- Your Accounts page won't "forget" your Ledger account when the browser's cookies are cleared
- The extension will warn you when you access a known phishing site. This will help you protect yourself and your funds.
- With the extension you can connect your account to many other sites that work on the Polkadot ecosystem
To add your Ledger though the extension, please follow these steps:
- First update your browser to the latest version.
- Go to Settings and under "Manage hardware connections" select "Do not attach ledger devices" and click "Save".
IMPORTANT: Selecting this option will disable the ability to add and use Ledger accounts directly on Polkadot-JS UI. In short it's not possible to add Ledger accounts both in the UI and the extension.
- Connect and unlock your Ledger and open the Polkadot app
- Open the extension and click on the "+" sign
- Click on "Attach ledger account"
- Select "Polkadot Relay Chain" from the drop-down menu.
- Once you do, a text field will appear. Give your account a name.
- Then the Account type and index will appear. You can leave them to the default values of zero. (If you choose to make a change here, remember them well for the future. Every Account Type and Index combination will produce a different DOT address. So in order to access the right address, you will always need to select the right Account Type and Index.)
If you get an error "No device selected", check your browser settings. Go to: Settings > Privacy and Security > Site Settings > Additional permissions > USB devices and make sure "Sites can ask to connect to USB devices" is selected. Then try again.
- Click on import account.
If your Ledger account doesn't appear on your accounts page right away, refresh the page.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.