Ledger: How to Add Your Ledger Through the Polkadot Extension Print
Modified on: Mon, 14 Nov, 2022 at 8:47 PM
Connecting your Ledger through the Polkadot extension has some benefits:
- Your Accounts page won't "forget" your Ledger account when the browser's cookies are cleared
- The extension will warn you when you access a known phishing site. This will help you protect yourself and your funds.
- With the extension, you can connect your account to many other sites that work on the Polkadot ecosystem
To add your Ledger through the extension, please follow these steps:
- First, update your browser to the latest version. Please note that Ledger hardware device support is only available on Chromium-based browsers where WebUSB and WebHID support is available in the browser.
- Go to Polkadot-JS UI Settings and under "Manage hardware connections" select "Attach Ledger via WebUSB" and click "Save". This option allows Ledger to be added both in the UI and in the extension.
- Connect and unlock your Ledger and open the Polkadot app
- Open the extension and click on the "+" sign
- Click on "Attach ledger account"
- Select "Polkadot Relay Chain" from the drop-down menu.
- Once you do, a text field will appear. Give your account a name.
- Then the Account type and index will appear. You can leave them to the default values of zero. (If you choose to make a change here, remember them well for the future. Every Account Type and Index combination will produce a different DOT address. So in order to access the right address, you will always need to select the right Account Type and Index.)
If you get an error "No device selected", check your browser settings. Go to:
Settings > Privacy and Security > Site Settings > Additional permissions > USB devices
and make sure "Sites can ask to connect to USB devices" is selected. Then try again.
If this doesn't help, please ensure that your browser has permissions to access USB devices, in particular if it is running as a snap such as Brave on Ubuntu. As a workaround, uninstall the default version and reinstall it from the official package repositories.
- Click on import account.
If your Ledger account doesn't appear on your accounts page right away, refresh the page.
If you prefer visual instructions you can check this video that also shows an example of how you can stake using your Ledger account.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.
Disclaimer: We always strive to provide you with the best support we can and we take all care to ensure that our instructions are accurate and concise. However, following these instructions properly, as well as the general management of your accounts and funds, is ultimately your responsibility. Web3 Foundation cannot be held liable for any accidental loss of funds or any other damage you might incur.