My address starts with “5” or a capital letter, not “1” as it should. Print
Modified on: Fri, 11 Sep, 2020 at 4:40 PM
An address starting with “5” or a capital letter indicates that your account is using a Substrate (5) or Kusama (capital letter) address. The following address formats apply:
- Kusama: addresses start with a capital letter
- Polkadot: addresses start with a 1
- Substrate: addresses start with a 5
If your address is showing the wrong prefix, here is how to change it:
1. On polkadot.js
- Go to the Settings tab
- Select "Default for connected node"
- Click Save & Reload
- Your addresses will now always show in the correct format, whether you have Polkadot or Kusama selected on the top left.
2. In the polkadot.js browser extension:
- Click on the gear icon in the upper-right corner.
- In the pulldown “Display Address Format For”, select Polkadot or Kusama - depending which format you're looking for.
Your addresses will immediately change to the correct format.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback