How to create a DOT account Print
Modified on: Sat, 16 Jul, 2022 at 2:59 PM
- Polkadot browser extension - This is the wallet we cover in this article
- Polkadot-JS user interface (UI)
No matter the type of your account, we highly recommend that you add your accounts through the browser extension, as it has many advantages:
- It provides better security than using the Web UI directly
- Your browser won't "forget" your accounts if its cookies are cleared
- The extension recognizes all known Polkadot scams and alerts you when you access a phishing site. This will help you protect yourself and your funds.
NOTE: You will still need to use the Polkadot-JS UI to use your accounts and issue transactions. The Polkadot extension is an account manager, not a wallet, and it needs a UI to interact with.
How to create an account with the Polkadot extension
2. After installing the extension, you should see the orange and white Polkadot extension logo in your browser's menu bar. If you don't, then click on the little puzzle icon to pin it. Then click it to open the extension:
3. Click the big plus button, or select "Create new account" from the small plus icon in the top right.
4. A new mnemonic phrase of twelve words will be generated for you. Make sure to save the mnemonic phrase safely now, as there is no way to view it after the account is created.
IMPORTANT: Keep your mnemonic phrase secret and safe! Anyone who knows it can have full access to your account!
6. Once you have saved your mnemonic phrase, mark that you have saved it safely and proceed to the next step.
7. Give your account a descriptive name. It's for your use only and will not be visible to other users.
NOTE: At this point you can choose to use the account on any chain or allow it for a specific chain only, from the drop-down menu. Read this article for more details.
8. Set a password for your account. You will need to enter this password when signing any transaction with your account, like sending funds out. We recommend using only Latin letters, numbers, and symbols.
IMPORTANT: The password isn't stored anywhere and we can't recover it for you. It's only used to encrypt your account locally on your computer. It does not protect your mnemonic phrase!
9. Confirm your password and add the account.
You are all set! Refresh the Accounts page on Polkadot-JS UI and you should see your account.
To see the whole process of creating an account using the Polkadot-JS browser extension, please watch this video tutorial:
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback
Disclaimer: We always strive to provide you with the best support we can and we take all care to ensure that our instructions are accurate and concise. However, following these instructions properly, as well as the general management of your accounts and funds, is ultimately your responsibility. Web3 Foundation cannot be held liable for any accidental loss of funds or any other damage you might incur.