Subwallet: How to Create an Account Print
Modified on: Tue, 6 Feb, 2024 at 4:38 PM
In this article, we look step-by-step into how to create a new account with Subwallet.
ℹ️ GOOD TO KNOW
If you have any questions about how to create your account on Subwallet or run into any issues and require further assistance, feel free to ask our AI chatbot or contact us.
Alternatively, you can also read Subwallet's documentation or contact their team directly and receive speciliazed assistance from the team that developed the wallet.
You can contact Subwallet support either by joining their Discord server, on Telegram, or through email.
ℹ️ INFO Subwallet is available as a mobile app for iOS and Android, as a browser extension, and as a web app. The UX and UI of all three platforms are pretty consistent.
In this and other articles, we provide instructions for the browser extension. If there are differences between the extension and the mobile app, we'll make sure to point them out or provide separate instructions.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- How to create your first account
- How to create an additional account
- Account types
How to create your first account
Subwallet is a non-custodial wallet, which means that only you have access to your accounts. For this reason it is imperative that you keep your mnemonic phrase safe. Without it, it is impossible to restore your account if you ever lose access to it.
Follow these instructions to create your first account and set up your Subwallet password that gives you access to the wallet and all the accounts stored in it.
1. First, download and install Subwallet. For the browser extension, it is recommended that you pin it for easy access.
2. Click on the Subwallet extension and select "Create a new account"
3. You will be asked to create a password for the wallet
⛔️ READ THIS FIRST!
This password unlocks the wallet and gives full access to all your accounts in it on the specific device.
For this reason make sure it's strong and unique and you are the only one that knows it.
Using a password manager to generate and store this password is highly recommended!
ℹ️ GOOD TO KNOW In the mobile app, before the mnemonic phrase is presented to you, you are asked to acknowledge some security warnings. Read each one carefully and click on them to be able to continue.
4. Once you've created and confirmed your password, you will be presented with the account's mnemonic phrase. In the browser extension, hover over the blurred mnemonic phrase to view it. In the mobile app, the mnemonic phrase isn't blurred out.
⛔️ READ THIS FIRST!
Although Subwallet offers the convenience to copy your mnemonic phrase to the clipboard, it is strongly recommended that you don't do that!
Write your mnemonic phrase on paper and store it in a safe and secret location! Do not share it with anyone!
Anyone with access to your mnemonic phrase has full access to your account!
Please read this article to learn how to safely store your mnemonic phrase.
ℹ️ GOOD TO KNOW
In the mobile app, the mnemonic isn't blurred out but after it's shown to you, you are asked to put the words in the correct order.
5. Once you've written down your mnemonic phrase, click on "I have kept it somewhere safe" to create your account.
Until you click that button your account is not created. If you restart the process for whatever reason, you will be presented with a new mnemonic phrase.
Make sure you have written down the correct mnemonic phrase for your account!
6. Finally, click on "Go to home" to access your newly created account!
The first account you create will be automatically enabled for both Substrate and Ethereum types.
How to create an additional account
If you want to create a new account, you can easily do it from any page of the wallet. There are two ways to create a new account: with a new mnemonic (seed) phrase or by deriving it from an existing account.
Both methods start with the same two steps:
1. First, click on the "All accounts" drop-down menu
2. On the new window that opens up, click on "Create a new account"
Create an account with a new mnemonic (seed) phrase
1. On the new screen that opens up, click on "Create with new seed phrase"
2. Select the account type(s) you want to enable for this account and click "Confirm"
3. Then follow steps 4-6 in the above section to complete the creation of the new account
Derive a new account from an existing account
Alternatively, you can derive an account from an existing account. This has the advantage that you can have multiple accounts without needing to store and manage multiple mnemonic phrases.
Because derived accounts are generated from the mnemonic phrase of the original (parent) account it is important that you don't lose the mnemonic phrase of the parent account even if you stop using it.
1. On the new screen that opens up, click on "Derive from an existing account"
2. Select the account to derive the new account from
3. Your new account will be created and you'll be directed back to the main page of the new account
The derived account will have the same type (Substrate or Ethereum) as the parent account.
Subwallet supports two account types: Substrate and Ethereum.
Substrate accounts can be used with Polkadot, Kusama, and most parachains and solo chains. Accounts of the Ethereum type can be used with chains built on EVM (Ethereum Virtual Machine), like Moonbeam.
All our articles focus on Substrate accounts. For support with Ethereum accounts, please contact Subwallet's support or search the documentation of the EVM chain you're interested in.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback
Disclaimer: We always strive to provide you with the best support we can and we take all care to ensure that our instructions are accurate and concise. However, following these instructions properly, as well as the general management of your accounts and funds, is ultimately your responsibility. Web3 Foundation cannot be held liable for any accidental loss of funds or any other damage you might incur.