Subwallet: How to Import a Polkadot Vault Account Print
Modified on: Tue, 6 Feb, 2024 at 4:39 PM
Subwallet offers the option to import accounts from cold storage wallets, like Polkadot Vault or Ledger. In this article we explain how to add an account from Polkadot Vault. To import your Ledger account, please read this article.
ℹ️ GOOD TO KNOW
If you have any questions about how to import your Polkadot Vault account on Subwallet or run into any issues and require further assistance, feel free to ask our AI chatbot or contact us.
Alternatively, you can also read Subwallet's documentation or contact their team directly and receive specialized assistance from the team that developed the wallet.
You can contact Subwallet support either by joining their Discord server, on Telegram, or through email.
ℹ️ INFO Subwallet is available as a mobile app for iOS and Android, as a browser extension, and as a web app. The UX and UI of all three platforms are pretty consistent.
In this and other articles, we provide instructions for the browser extension. If there are differences between the extension and the mobile app, we'll make sure to point them out or provide separate instructions.
How to import your Polkadot Vault account
In order to import your Polkadot Vault account, follow these steps:
1. From any screen, click on "All accounts" at the top
2. On the screen that opens up, click on the little "Ledger icon" at the bottom right
3. Then select "Connect a Polkadot Vault account"
4. Click on "Scan QR code"
5. Subwallet needs camera access for this operation. If you haven't enabled it previously, the following message will appear. Click "Go to Setting" to allow Subwallet to access the camera. Otherwise, skip to step 7.
These instructions are for the browser extension. For the mobile app you will need to allow camera access from your phone's settings.
6. In the settings menu, enable the last option "Camera access for QR"
This might generate a pop-up from your browser to confirm that you want to allow camera access to Subwallet. Click "Allow" to permit this.
Then repeat the steps 1-4 and click again "Scan QR code"
7. Now, open your Polkadot Vault app and select the account you want to add.
8. On the next screen, select the chain on which you want to use that account. This will show up the account's address on that chain in QR code.
9. Present the QR code to the camera and your account will be added to Subwallet. You'll be directed to the newly-imported account's main page.
In the latest version of Polkadot Vault (> 6.1.2) the accounts for each network are derived from the mnemonic phrase using a custom derivation path ("//polkadot" for Polkadot, "//kusama" for Kusama, etc.)
When you add an account for one chain on Subwallet this account will be available on all enabled chains. However, the accounts on these chains will not match the accounts on Polkadot Vault and you will not be able to sign transactions for them.
Make sure you use the imported account only on the chain you imported it for.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback
Disclaimer: We always strive to provide you with the best support we can and we take all care to ensure that our instructions are accurate and concise. However, following these instructions properly, as well as the general management of your accounts and funds, is ultimately your responsibility. Web3 Foundation cannot be held liable for any accidental loss of funds or any other damage you might incur.