Talisman Wallet: How to Restore an Account Print
Modified on: Tue, 6 Feb, 2024 at 4:40 PM
If you've lost access to your account or wish to use it on other devices, you can restore it using either the mnemonic phrase or JSON file. Talisman Wallet provides the option to restore accounts created from Talisman Wallet or other compatible wallets.
This article will walk you through the process of restoring an account using either the mnemonic phrase (recovery phrase) or a JSON file.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
To restore an account in Talisman Wallet, click the three horizontal dots ("More options") and then select "Add account."
Three options will appear: "Create a new account," "Import an existing account," and "Connect Ledger, Polkadot Vault, etc." To restore an account, choose the second option, "Import an existing account." This option allows you to import the account either via a JSON file or its recovery phrase.
How to restore from a recovery phrase
The most common method to back up a Polkadot account is by using its 12-word mnemonic phrase (recovery phrase). This section guides you on restoring your account in Talisman Wallet from it.
1. Follow the instructions at the beginning of the article to "+ Add account," then select "Import account" and "Import via Recovery Phrase."
2. Talisman Wallet can import various account types from a recovery phrase, such as Substrate or EVM accounts. The process is similar for both cases, but we'll focus on restoring a Polkadot (Substrate) account.
3. If the recovery phrase is correct, you could click "Import" and that's it, your account will be part of your portfolio now!
If you created additional accounts from one recovery phrase by deriving them from it, you will need to select "Import Multiple Accounts" from the drop-down menu and then select the ones you would like to restore.
ℹ️ GOOD TO KNOW
If the mnemonic phrase you entered is not valid (possibly because you misspelled a word or they are not in the correct order), a message will appear ("Invalid secret") and the "Import" button will be disabled.
Check the most possible causes in the article "My Mnemonic Phrase is Invalid!"
How to restore from the JSON file
Most ecosystem wallets offer the option to export your account as an encrypted JSON file. This file can then be imported into other compatible wallets, allowing you to restore your account on those platforms. This section provides guidance on how to import it into Talisman Wallet.
1. In Talisman Wallet, click "Import via JSON" within the "Add account" option, as shown above.
2. After clicking, a new screen will appear, allowing you to either browse your hard drive to find and upload the JSON file or simply drag and drop it.
3. Choose the JSON file and enter the password you set when creating the account or exporting the JSON file from the wallet.
4. If the password is correct, the JSON file will be unlocked, and you can now select the account or accounts you want to restore.
5. Click "Import" and that's it! Your restored account should appear as part of your portfolio now.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback
Disclaimer: We always strive to provide you with the best support we can and we take all care to ensure that our instructions are accurate and concise. However, following these instructions properly, as well as the general management of your accounts and funds, is ultimately your responsibility. Web3 Foundation cannot be held liable for any accidental loss of funds or any other damage you might incur.