Talisman Wallet: How to Create an Account Print
Modified on: Tue, 6 Feb, 2024 at 4:40 PM
In the following article, we will guide you through the process of creating a new account with Talisman Wallet, offering a detailed, step-by-step explanation to help you get started.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
How to create your first account
After installing the Talisman Wallet extension, you will be prompted to create a new account, though you can do this at any point thereafter. The following steps and screenshots below demonstrate the process of creating a new account after the welcome screen.
1. Open Talisman Wallet and click the three horizontal dots ("More options") and then select "Add account."
2. A new tab will present you with three options: Create a new account, import an existing account, or connect a hardware wallet (Ledger, Polkadot Vault, etc.). The following steps will guide you through the first option of creating a new account.
3. After clicking on "New Polkadot Account," you will be prompted to choose a name for your new account. Keep in mind that you can rename it later.
ℹ️ GOOD TO KNOW
Please note that the "Polkadot" account created can be used on any Substrate network (e.g., Kusama, Westend, parachains, etc.).
4. In this step, the mnemonic phrase, or "recovery phrase," will be displayed after you click on the obscured central section. Be aware of the potential consequences of losing the recovery phrase or allowing unauthorized access to it.
⛔ READ THIS FIRST!
Although Talisman Wallet offers the convenience to copy your mnemonic phrase to the clipboard, it is strongly recommended that you don't do that!
Write your mnemonic phrase on paper and store it in a safe and secret location! Do not share it with anyone!
Read about good practices to keep your backup safe on "How to Store Your Mnemonic Phrase and Backup File Safely"
5. Once you noted down your recovery phrase in a safe location, click continue and it's done! Your new account will be added to Talisman Wallet.
How to create additional accounts
If you already have an account on Talisman Wallet, you can create new accounts by deriving them from its mnemonic phrase.
1. Follow the first two steps as described above, but on step 3, Talisman Wallet will not only prompt you to name the account but also specify the recovery phrase from which you want to derive it.
2. Select "[YOUR_PREVIOUS_ACCOUNT_NAME] Recovery Phrase" and assign a new name to the account you are about to create. Alternatively, you can choose "Generate a new recovery phrase" from the drop-down menu to create an account with a new mnemonic phrase.
3. Click "Continue" and it's done! You have a new account derived from the same recovery phrase.
Because derived accounts are generated from the recovery phrase of the original (parent) account, it is important that you don't lose the mnemonic phrase of the parent account even if you stop using it.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback
Disclaimer: We always strive to provide you with the best support we can and we take all care to ensure that our instructions are accurate and concise. However, following these instructions properly, as well as the general management of your accounts and funds, is ultimately your responsibility. Web3 Foundation cannot be held liable for any accidental loss of funds or any other damage you might incur.